Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Alphabet Book

This sketchbook started with an idea from Nita Leland's book "The New Creative Artist" which is full of fun drawing and painting activities. One idea she suggests is to draw small rectangles in a sketchbook and go on a scavenger hunt around your home to find objects to fill them. I thought this would be a good idea for an alphabet sketchbook and I challenged myself to find 26 objects in my home each starting with a letter of the alphabet. I used a 5 1/2" x 8" watercolour sketchbook, ink and watercolour paint for the project. The opaque letters were painted in gauche.

This sketchbook is not a child's book because handling the pages would smudge the water mediums. To make this sketchbook more child friendly, it would have to be reprinted with waterproof ink on sturdy paper. Here is a sample:










2 comments:

  1. Sharon--Your alphabet sketchbook is awesome. You can't imagine how much it thrills me to see what you've done with that little idea in my book. Your pages are really beautiful. Thanks for posting them.

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sharon, I am so proud of you girl! You have such an amazing talent for being able to take what you see and make it come to life on paper. Your gift is incredible Sharon. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    Miss you. Say hi to Geoff.
    June :)

    ReplyDelete