Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Plein Air Sketchbook

In the summers of 2007 and 2008 I thought I would try my hand at sketching outdoors. For this project I chose a 24-page watercolour sketchbook 8 1/2" x 11." I used fine tipped black ink pens and pan watercolour paints and I also tried using acrylic paint in a watercolour style with some success.

I painted my first painting outdoors in the afternoon. Not satisfied with the results, I returned to the same location the next morning and repainted the scene under different lighting conditions with vastly different results. I learned that picking the right time of day to paint outdoors is crucial.





I joined a summer evening sketch group and visited many different private gardens and public parks. We drew and painted weather and light permitting, but it was not always possible to finish a painting all in one go. I drew from life, but sometimes completed the painting later.















I painted this sketch with acrylic paint. I like the brighter colours and the glowing affect that acrylic paint has on paper.










The last two paintings were completed on a double page in acrylic paint. For this type of sketch, a book without a coil binding would be an advantage.







No comments:

Post a Comment